Friday, March 26, 2010

Education / Ivan Illich (1926 - 2002)

I was surfing around looking for information on Jacques Ellul, and I found this talk show on education by a philosopher that was associated with Ellul in the sense that he spoke against totalitarianism.

So I found this page with audio posted at the bottom of a talk given by Illich.

http://www.davidtinapple.com/illich/

He some very well stated ideas on what is wrong with education today as well as how it can be changed. Illic is a very accomplished scientist, historian and theologian.

He was called to the Vatican in 1968 regarding his dangerous views and ideas.

He is quoted as saying: "I would would like to help people smile, smile the social system apart..." He has many other wise and very funny things to say.

3 comments:

Magdelena said...

Good interview, thanks for posting this. I'm listening now.

Did you send it off to Penny? She'd like this too.

Penny said...

I am going to check it out, thanks doug!

Doug Plumb said...

Its not quite as entertaining as Gatto, but he makes some good points.

This guy is a polymath, not a practitioner. Gatto is interesting, but he is a mere technician.

One of the major problems in our society is a lack of deep understanding. We tend to go to technicians for understanding and fund very little into getting deep understanding of things - theory for its own sake. According to Ellul, we can get lost in our own techniques and the machine can take over.

This guy is a dying breed.

Followers

About Me

My photo
Author of "Power Outage", available on Smashwords. I am a 50 year old free market libertarian who has had the time to read and consider the nature of globalism and the big machine that is surrounding us. I have participated in politics by running at the Fed level and debated Agenda 21 and 9-11 truth in front of large audiences. My background is in engineering and software creation. My business has provided me with significant time and freedom to learn the truth about the world around us. My goal is to expose Agenda 21 / Sustainable Development and Cultural Marxism.